Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Code Red 2: Life Sentence ~ Chapter 1

Mika’s Note: Sure as hell is a good thing I don’t have any avid readers as I just posted a chapter and removed it because DOH it was the WRONG ONE.  LOL  Sorry…

Chapter 1: Rainy Day Blues

Ali looked up from her report to gaze out at the cloudy, grey skies. Sighing at the beauty of a rainstorm in the desert, she forced herself to buckle down and get back to work. If only her mind would cooperate.

Raindrops pounded against the window overlooking her neglected herb garden. Herb forest, as her charming brother Albie referred to it. Basil gone wild. Mint and oregano bushes. That sort of thing. At least the rain kept the bees at bay.

Giving up on the report for the time being, she left her desk and walked to the window. Gazing at the green herbs, her thoughts wandered to her missing half.

“Where are you, Cowboy?” she asked herself. “And are you thinking of me?”

They’d parted ways ten days ago in this same city. He’d called a few times; so had she. He’d even sent her a text or two in the last week and a half. But it wasn’t the same. It certainly wasn’t ‘enough’. Enough what? She wasn’t sure. All she knew was that it wasn’t enough.

Thunder rumbled in the distance followed quickly by a flash of light. Ali hugged her arms around herself and leaned sideways against the wall. The emptiness inside her grew a bit.

“Why aren’t you here?” she whispered.

The sound of her cell phone ringing startled her out of her reverie. Smiling at the caller ID display, she answered, “Hey gorgeous, where are you?”

“You stole my line,” he teased. “So, what are ya up to these days?”

Ali laughed. “Not much. Trying to finish the last of the paperwork left over from the ‘Hick Incident’ as HQ is calling it. Then, in a week, I’m being shipped out again; destination unknown.”

“Unknown?”

“Well, until I’m debriefed, it’s unknown. Classified, rather. Other than that, I’m just standing here watching the rain.”

“I’ve always liked rainy days. Makes a small town even smaller.”

“Yeah, I’m sure.” The silence hung easily between them. “Well, I guess I should finish my report. I’ve got a chair by the fire and a cup of hot chocolate calling my name.”

“Oh. Um, okay.”

“Blake?”

“Yeah?”

“I miss you. A lot.”

“Me too.” He gave a short laugh. “I mean I miss you too.”

“I knew what ya meant, Cowboy.”

“Good.” He paused, taking a deep breath. “When can I see you again?” he said in a rush. “How long are you going to be gone?”

Ali sighed. “I really don’t know, Blake. These assignments can last anywhere from a day or three to several months. This last assignment, your assignment, lasted three months.”

“Crap.”

“My thoughts exactly. I wouldn’t think it would take any longer than 6 weeks, from what I already know about it, which would put me back here around the middle of December.”

“That’s too long. I’m not sure I can wait until December!”

“You are so sad, Cowboy.”

“I can’t help it,” he said in small voice. “I’ve never needed anyone like this before.”

She bit into her bottom lip, feeling as if that pit in her chest had opened up and swallowed her whole. “I don’t know what to tell you. I wish we could make a date for New Year’s, but I have no way of knowing if I’ll be home by then.” Or alive even, she thought in horror. Her upcoming assignment was not a pleasant one.

“Alright, alright…” he began. “How ‘bout Valentine’s Day? That’s longer than I want to wait, but you should be home by February, right?”

“I would hope so.”

“Good. It’s a date then, Cookie. I’ll just miss you until then, I guess.”

“Sorry. Wish there was another option but there just isn’t.” Ali took a deep breath; let it out slowly. She hated what she had to tell him next. “Are you going to be okay while I’m gone? You know you won’t be able to have any kind of contact with me.” Tensely, she waited for the explosion.

“What! Why? How…”

“Blake, honey, I’m being sent out of the country and secrecy is our primary priority. I’m sorry,” she finished lamely.

“How am I gonna keep from going crazy? Not knowing if you’re okay or not? What if…” his voice caught slightly, “… if something happens?”

Her stomach tightened at the hitch in his voice. “I’ll be checking in with HQ regularly. I’ll make sure Albert calls you with updates. It’s the best I can do.”

“Okay,” he agreed sullenly. “I guess it’s better than nothing.”

“Thank you for understanding. It’s hard for me too. I hate leaving my friends, my family really, and I hate leaving you.”

“Glad to hear it.”

She smiled at the sound of the smirk in his voice. “Gee, thanks, honey.” Smiling to herself, she listened to him breathe for a moment, remembering a time she made his heart pound and his breath ragged. “I always miss the simple things the most. The phone calls. The sound of you breathing beside me. Chocolate. That kind of thing. I’ll call you the minute I’m back in the states, okay?”

“You better. I’ve got some more of that breathing to do, ya know?”

Catching his not-so-subtle hint, she laughed out loud. “Sure, I’d be happy to help ya with that. But seriously, as much as I like this, I have got to get this paperwork done. Caleb was kind enough to let me bring it home with me and not make me return to DC with him to finish it. But, he also expects it by morning, so I’ve gotta get working.”

The sound of his sigh saddened her. “Okay. Just don’t forget about me, okay?”

“Not so sure that I could do that if I tried, Cowboy.”

“Watch out for yourself, okay?”

“Always. And take care of you, too, right?”

“Right.” Pause. “Miss you, babe.”

“Miss you too, Cowboy. Talk to you soon.”

“Yeah. Bye.”

Ali closed her cell phone and looked back out at the rain. It had picked up while she was on the phone. Water poured from the heavens in a steady stream. Clean. Refreshing. Cleansing. So why’d she feel like crying suddenly?

“So?”

“So what, Albie?” She didn’t turn to acknowledge him, afraid of what he might see on her face. Albert Rogan knew her a bit too well.

“Sooo, how’d he take the bad news?”

“And what makes you think it was even him?”

“Because you still have your back to me, for one.”

Damn. “He wasn’t too happy at first, but he’s okay with it now, I guess.” She wasn’t sure at all, but he didn’t need to know that.

“That’s good news.”

“I guess.” She turned to face him finally. “You’re gonna have to fulfill your promise now, though.” Seeing the mug of hot chocolate in his hands, she smiled.

He held it out to her. “I even remembered the whipped cream, see?” He waved towards the puff of white floating in her drink. “I had every intention of keeping my promise, even if you hadn’t asked. I know what he’s come to mean to you.”

Ali met his eyes, surprised, her drink halfway to her mouth. “You what?”

“It’s only obvious. If nothing else, spending all that time with him on the road, I knew you’d become friends at least. He’s too nice of a guy not to like.” He watched as she sipped her hot chocolate. “And when you add in his odd sense of humor and those blue eyes, I knew you’d be hooked.”

“Am I that transparent?”

“No, I just knew you were that lonely. Now, don’t argue with me,” he stopped her before she could get started. “Hell, I’m in the same boat, remember? If it wasn’t for you, I’m not sure I’d even remember what a woman was.”

Ali rolled her eyes at him and smiled. “Thank you. For everything.”

“You’ll get my bill in the mail.”

“No doubt,” she grinned, rolling her eyes once more.

No comments: